Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Homemade Laundry Detergent

One way I save money is by making my own liquid laundry soap.





I have used DIY laundry detergent for a few years off and on. I use the recipe from the Duggar family blog. I especially like it for Kylie, my little one because she has eczema and it doesn't irritate her skin. For her clothes I do a separate bucket and don't add in the essential oil.

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap
(Front or top load machine-best value)
Ingredients:

4 Cups - hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar*
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda**
½ Cup Borax

Directions:

-Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)
-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.
-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.

Use 1/2 to 1Cup depending on size of load.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments! Glad you stopped by! Come again;)