Monday, July 21, 2014

Mealtime Monday

So I thought I would try and share a recipe once in a while. As busy a busy mom who, let's just say doesn't LOVE meal planning, I find myself going to recipes on the web or my cookbooks every week before grocery time. The only part I do like about meal planning is trying new recipes out that sound like something my family would enjoy.

Now that's a packed statement- that could actually be a blog post in itself figuring and analyzing who, what, and the why nobody can just love the same meal at the same time in this place! It's a task! I have a couple of picky Petes here! But I'll spare you anymore on that ;).

Each week I make about 3 of the same ole, same ole meals from a host of them that everyone either likes or has at least agreed they can eat without complaining. But that just doesn't satisfy my inner domestic aspirations or my desire for some variety and spice in life. I like the idea of trying new recipes and seeing delight on everyone's faces! Yes it actually happens sometimes :)- so then the rest of my weekly meals (2 or 3 others) are new or a new spin to us.

I know I'm not the only one, so I'm sharing them with you when I find one like that... You know the ones that no one complains about after the first bite, and everyone is quiet for a few moments because they're actually eating what's in front of them! Yes those. Linking up as well herehttp://orgjunkie.com

So today on the menu is a variation of Mix and Match Mama's "California Meatballs with Lemon Scented Pasta". It obviously called for making meatballs but I put a twist on this. I have always NEVER loved getting all raw-meaty in the kitchen. Just ain't my thang! I'd take getting a whole body down 'n dirty in a mudfest over a handful of raw meat any day! So for this I browned my ground beef/turkey and crumbled it instead of making meatballs. Plus my kids aren't really into big meatballs. It was a hit! The family LOVED it! I also changed a couple of ingredients that I thought suited us better, but thanks to Mix and Match Mama for the recipe!

Here's what you need:

(for the meat mixture)
1 pound ground turkey/beef
3 cloves garlic, grated
1 cup Panko (which are Japanese breadcrumbs but feel free to substitute with your favorite breadcrumbs)
1/2 cup Pepper Jack cheese, grated (Mexican Blend is what I had on hand so I used that)
2 cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 small red onion, diced (reserve a few tablespoons for pasta)
1 tablespoon of lemon zest (lemon juice is fine also)
2 eggs, beaten
Lots of salt and pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)

(for the pasta)
1 pound angel hair pasta
2-3 tablespoons chopped red onion
1 glove garlic, chopped
2-3 tablespoons half and half (I used Heavy Cream)
1 tablespoon lemon zest (juice)
1 (14 oz) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained (optional)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
Salt and Pepper


Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Brown your meat in skillet and drain.
In a medium sized bowl, combine ground turkey, garlic, Panko, cheese, spinach, bell pepper, onion, eggs, zest (or juice option) and lots of salt and pepper.






Pat down the mixture in a lightly greased glass baking dish. I used 2 round casserole dishes. One 9x13 or two 8x8's are other fine options.
Drizzle about a tablespoon of EVOO over all of the meat mixture. Roast in the oven about 20 minutes. Stir and fluff the meat mixture then leave it in the oven for another 5 minutes to roast again.

For the pasta, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta to al dente (about 5 minutes).





Meanwhile, saute your onion and garlic in a tablespoon or so of EVOO 2 to 3 minutes. Toss in your drained and cooked pasta. Add in half and half, zest and artichoke hearts and toss until everything is combined. Sprinkle with a little S&P.





Serve pasta underneath meat mix.






Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this! Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping over via Menu Plan Monday link up.. this recipe looks so good! definitely going to try it, thanks for sharing!

    Diana Life in German.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad y'all stopped by:). Let me know how it turns out! Hope your family loves it as much as mine!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments! Glad you stopped by! Come again;)